Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What is Action Research?

I am currently enrolled in Lamar University's graduate program for Educational Leadership. I am taking a research class to help assist me in advanced research. This week I have been studying action research. I came to realize this week that I have always done action research; I just didn't know what it was called. Action research is the process of a principal engaging in systematic, intentional study of his/her administrative practice and taking action for change based on what he/she learns as a result of the inquiry. (Dana 2)Inquiry is the wondering or questioning that researchers develop. They take their wonderings and collect data and then from there analyze the data to make informed decisions and changes according the needs of the school. Action research was developed from teacher action research. Action research is a great professional development tool for principals who tend to be loners in development. Another aspect of action research that I learned this week in my study was the difference between traditional research and action research. There are two types of traditional research that I have dominated educational research: process- product and qualitative or interpretive. Basically the differences between the two traditional types of research and action research is traditional research has an outsider conducting the research and reporting their findings and action research makes the teachers and principals take ownership and research the needs of the school. Action research is focused on providing insight into educator’s own needs and practice making an effort to change the school. As I continued to study this week, I found that action research is a great professional development tool for administrators. Principals become in charge of their own learning and therefore are able to better understand and shape the school based on its needs. In education we are continual changing and evolving so should our research. I found that there are many benefits to action research. First of all, Dana discusses how important it is that administrators are conductors of their own learning. Action research is a meaningful way to grow professionally. Conducting action research in the school setting can help promote best practices to flourish at your school. A huge benefit that is seems to be a common thread throughout the texts is the ability to share your wonderings and discoveries with other educators. The biggest issue for principals in conducting action is time. There never seems to be enough time in the day. I found some suggestions for how to make time for action research. They are make it a daily habit, schedule in time for action research and learning, and finally make it part of the normal administrative duties you already have to perform i.e. AYP. There are several different settings where action research can take place. A few are: university coursework, superintendent/ district meetings, leadership teams, and professional learning communities. I have discovered that the greatest leadership skill one needs to develop over action research is the ability to reflect. Principals need to learn to reflect and with that skill they will be able to make better decisions regarding their campus. I also think that reflecting it the most overlooked and forgot leadership skills. It is essential for one to take time to develop this skill with action research. I have learned so much about action research and I cannot wait to study more about the benefits and how to become a better action researcher. Until next time…..

No comments:

Post a Comment